Friday, March 12, 2010

I'm gonna pump ... you up!

So this month I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer. WTF, right? If you know me, then you know that I'm definitely not the workout type nor a personal trainer person. But ... after much thinking and despairing about my recent weight gain AND the fact that I'm going on an awesome trip to Scotland in 2-1/2 months, I thought I'd better get on the ball and get a little bit more fit.

I've decided not to actually have "lose weight" as a goal, because that's just too easy to screw up and it's a bit ... um ... cliché. I decided instead to increase my endurance and stamina. Any weight loss along the way is icing on the cake. Of course, I also decided to re-join Weight Watchers, if only to help me focus my eating a bit more. I did WW for about a year+ about 2 years ago and lost 37 pounds. I've gained a portion of that back, so I'd like to be a bit more trim when I go on vacation.

Working out. Phew. It's not easy for someone like me, who hasn't used certain muscles in ... oh, let's just say forever. My workout starts with a 5-minute warm up on the elliptical machine. From there I move on to free weights, using a stability ball. My trainer checks my form and encourages me. After the weights, we do PNF stretching, which is a passive stretch. My trainer works my muscles and I provide a bit of resistance. The workout ends with me on the elliptical doing some cardio work. Ick Ick Ick. Since I'm just starting this regimen, my cardio is 10 minutes + a 5 minute cool-down. Next week I'll start on 15 minutes with a cool-down.

You know what's really gross about the workout? The sweating. I don't mind on my body as much as I mind all the sweat on my head. I don't recall sweating like that when I was younger. I honestly think I didn't sweat like this until I had pneumonia back in '95. After that, my head always sweats when it's get even the tiniest bit warm outside.

What I'm working on now is my attitude towards working out. I'm such a Negative Nelly and I need to improve my mindset. I'm working on that with my therapist. Good times. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment